XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
[APDL] Shell281 vs shell93 stress results

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
mariusz.milewski
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Hello all

My model is thin walled cylinder loaded axially with compression force at the top. Bottom has all DOF constrained. I would like to get circumferential stresses and stresses in direction of cylinder height. It is linear, static analysis.

Initially I used shell281 elements, however, I got very strange results of circumferential stresses: distribution of stresses around cylinder was not even as expected and magnitude of stress was 10e3 smaller than expected.

To compare results I made 2nd model with shell93 legacy element. Results seem more reliable and match my expectations. In both cases I have been comparing results using SHELL,TOP and defaults key options.

My questions are:
*why legacy element yields correct results while up-to-date shell281 does not?
*are default key options sufficient in this case or they require adjustment?

I read HELP on shell281 but I havent found anything to explain my results. I have also tried different loading on my model to compares stresses however circumferential stresses seem incorrect.

I will appreciat any suggestions or refrences. Thank you
:wink:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS