XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
[Mechanical] [Fluent] Blast wave FSI modeling

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
kegan.leckness
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice in a two-way FSI simulation using Fluent/Mechanical. I'm modeling blast wave propagation through the ear and am having difficulty applying the pressure in such a way I get the waveforms I need.

See Fig_1. My model consists of three domains. Domain A and C are fluid (air) domains separated by a membrane, domain B. I'm interested in the pressures at the entrance of domain A and on either side of domain B.

The difficulty is here:
The triangular pressure waveform representing the oncoming blast wave can be seen in Fig_2. Assigning this pressure as a UDF on the entrance of domain A does not work - a reflecting wall is put up by Fluent to resist flow coming out of the 'pressure-inlet' and the pressure wavefront continually bounces back and forth between the entrance of domain A and the membrane, B. Implementing the option to turn off the reflecting, artificial wall changes the waveform too much to be applicable to my case - it destroys the impulse nature of my triangular waveform.

I then tried adding an external flow field to the entrance of domain A, as seen in Fig_3, with a small pressure-inlet. All other boundaries of the external flow field were set to 0 Pa pressure-outlets. Doing this limited the reflectivity issue significantly.

Now, if I apply a 70 kPa pressure to the inlet of the external flow field, only 20 kPa is passed into domain A. Applying greater pressures (>100 kPa) to the external flow field yields AMG temperature Divergence.

Adding the additional domain got rid of my problem of reflectivity, but has limited the pressure levels I can reach inside domain A.

I'm more of a CFX guy (switched for dynamic remeshing) and need assistance in working around this.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

[img]http://s1040.photobucket.com/user/keganLeckness/media/Fig_1_zpsgjzus4wh.png.html[/img]
[img]http://s1040.photobucket.com/user/keganLeckness/media/Fig_2_zps9t2a33uy.png.html[/img]
[img]http://s1040.photobucket.com/user/keganLeckness/media/Fig_3_zpsu2dcdshp.png.html[/img]
Note: the imaged model is conceptual; mesh quality of the real model is a non-issue.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS