XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
[WB] Transfering boundary conditions between element types

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
tiago.lira
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, this may be kinda tricky to describe but I'll try my best:

I'm trying to simulate cables on Workbench which are susceptible only to tension. I know that link10 or link180 would be the best elements for this purpose. However my setup has independent line bodies that do not share any nodes with the structure they need to be attached. I'm using general joints to hold the cable in place (ground connection) and a general joint to connect the cable to the padeyes. However anytime I try to run the model with link10/link180 conversion of beam188 elements I get pivot errors. Huge displacements, characteristics of rigid body motion. I'm suspecting that the joints are not being applied on the nodes of the link10/link180 elements. Is this correct? When I change the type of element on a body do I lose the previous applied boundary conditions? How do I transfer them to the new elements? The model runs fine with beam188, the problem arrives when the cables are converted/changed to link10/link180.

I tried the new tension-only springs (beta options) for 17.0 but they look ridiculously big on the model. It's even hard to see the results!

I appreciate any help that you may provide!

Atenciosamente,
Best regards,

Tiago José Medeiros de Araújo Lira
Engenheiro Mecânico
Mechanical Engineer
Estaleiro Atlântico Sul S/A
Fone (Phone): +55 81 3311-7810
www.estaleiroatlanticosul.com.br
Ilha de Tatuoca, s/n - Complexo Portuário de Suape Ipojuca-PE, Brasil, CEP (Zip Code) 55590-000
Martin Liddle
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:23 am  Reply with quote

You would be much more likely to get an answer if you post the question to the mailing list at xansys-temp@xansystest.info

The Forum is no longer maintained and is really only intended for searching for old answers to questions. It will be replaced in due course.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS