XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
[WB] Copy project material to library

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
andrew.kelly
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Using Workbench V16.1

I created a new material in my project. To re-use it, I want to copy it into the "Company" library ("engineering data source").

I figured out how to put the "Company" engineering data source into edit mode. But, so far, it only seems possible to create a new material from scratch. I can't find a way to add the material from "project cell a2".
liam.mealey1
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:19 am  Reply with quote

To clarify, you are attempting to add a particular material to a company material library for use outside of the project it was originally defined in?

If so the easiest way I've found involves two steps. Firstly export the material as an xml from within the relevant engineering data tab, by highlighting it and using File>Export Engineering Data.

Then open up the relevant Engineering Data Source tab for your library, and making sure the Edit Library check box is ticked, go File>Import Engineering Data and point it at the .xml you just created. It should add it into the library and can be saved.

There may be other ways without requiring the export to import method, or if you know the directory of the Company library you may be able to export the xml directly into that, but if you don't the above method should work.
andrew.kelly
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

It worked. Thanks. Comments:

liam.mealey1 wrote:
Firstly export the material as an xml from within the relevant engineering data tab, by highlighting it and using File>Export Engineering Data. Then open up the relevant Engineering Data Source tab for your library, and making sure the Edit Library check box is ticked, go File>Import Engineering Data and point it at the .xml you just created

It was hard to tell what I was exporting. Project Cell A2 had 2 materials: "Structural Steel" (Ansys default material) and "new material". Importing the exported data into the company library added only "new material". It's what I wanted, but I'm fuzzy as to why. Did it export only "new material" because I happened to click on it before exporting? Or is there some other reason why it omitted "Structural Steel"?

liam.mealey1 wrote:
There may be other ways without requiring the export to import method, or if you know the directory of the Company library you may be able to export the xml directly into that, but if you don't the above method should work.

I hope no one is doing this. AFAIK, each library is an XML file, not a folder. So if you export the material(s) from the project, with the same name as the library, you will overwrite your entire library.

Engineering Data needs a UI overhaul. Not intuitive at all.
liam.mealey1
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

andrew.kelly wrote:

It was hard to tell what I was exporting. Project Cell A2 had 2 materials: "Structural Steel" (Ansys default material) and "new material". Importing the exported data into the company library added only "new material". It's what I wanted, but I'm fuzzy as to why. Did it export only "new material" because I happened to click on it before exporting? Or is there some other reason why it omitted "Structural Steel"?

It appears if you don't highlight at least one material selection, it won't let you export it, but you can highlight more than one selection and it will export all the selection. But I agree, it's not obvious until you experiment with it.

andrew.kelly wrote:

I hope no one is doing this. AFAIK, each library is an XML file, not a folder. So if you export the material(s) from the project, with the same name as the library, you will overwrite your entire library.

That's possibly me using it incorrectly then - I didn't realise it created a single xml for all materials in a library. I don't use libraries much (most of the materials aren't exciting enough to take more than a couple of mins to create), and just store individual materials as a uniquely named xml in a personal materials folder in the rare event I do export them. I'd somehow assumed that this was the way it was formally done, and a library just pointed to a folder. I suppose it makes sense that there could be complexities with that though. Thanks; I learn something new each day!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS