XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
[Xansys] [WB] Serial solves with component swapping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
Fern Thomassy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have a model in Creo where I have a base assembly with multiple designs (separate parts) of a component to compare. The design options of that component are assembled overlapping. I can bring this into WB with no problem. I'm now considering approaches for the multiple runs, one for each component. I want to setup the loads and interfaces for the base assembly once and re-use it. What is the best way to address the duplicate design options? Here are some choices:

1. Model the first with the other suppressed and then copy model within the WB project to model subsequent designs. The problem here is that I loose associativity with the base assembly so if/when I need to update I would need to propagate the change manually.

2. Model the whole thing at once and use an APDL snippet Ekill to suppress all but one of the redundant components. Could be a p.i.t.a. to manage the overlapping parts and their related model data. Results management may require visibility management ... not sure.

3. Same as 2 but actually delete before solve. Same issue with model management but I wonder if results display will be simplified.
Has anyone done a similar study and would you care to share an opinion of the right way to productively manage component swapping?

I am running Creo 2.0 and ANSYS 16.1 (mechanical). Right now I'm leaning toward option 1, not elegant but reliable.

Thanks . . . Fern

Fern Thomassy

Fallbrook Technologies

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for use by the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. This message is protected by copyright laws and any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of information received in error is strictly prohibited.
+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| XANSYS web - www.xansys.org/forum |
| The Online Community for users of ANSYS, Inc. Software |
| Hosted by PADT - www.padtinc.com |
| Send administrative requests to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk |

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
phil.erisman
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Fern,

I've done options 2 & 3 before and it works well enough (my preference is to delete elements). If there is a piece of geometry in Mechanical for which there are no results (because of EKILL or element deletion) it will just display a translucent representation of it. This could be annoying to have a bunch of translucent bodies all overlapping each other on the result display, but can easily be rectified by hiding the geometry for those bodies.

Another option is model assembly which is where you combine analysis systems. So you could model all your common parts in one system (system1) and put the part that will change into another system (system2). Combine these two systems into a third one (system3) where you setup, debug, and run your analysis. Now duplicate system2 and update it with the new design (this is now system4). You then replace system3's link to system2 with one to system4 and update it. You will have to rescope anything that referenced the original geometry from system2 to the new geometry from system4 but anything that was originally scoped to geometry from system1 should remain intact. If you need to retain all results from the original run, duplicate system3 before replacing the link. This sounds rather confusing as I type it, but it really is pretty straightforward after a little experimentation.

Phil Erisman
Engineering Analysis
John Deere

-----Original Message-----
From: Xansys [mailto:xansys-bounces@xansys.org] On Behalf Of Fern Thomassy
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:41 PM
To: ANSYS User Discussion List
Subject: [Xansys] [WB] Serial solves with component swapping

I have a model in Creo where I have a base assembly with multiple designs (separate parts) of a component to compare. The design options of that component are assembled overlapping. I can bring this into WB with no problem. I'm now considering approaches for the multiple runs, one for each component. I want to setup the loads and interfaces for the base assembly once and re-use it. What is the best way to address the duplicate design options? Here are some choices:

1. Model the first with the other suppressed and then copy model within the WB project to model subsequent designs. The problem here is that I loose associativity with the base assembly so if/when I need to update I would need to propagate the change manually.

2. Model the whole thing at once and use an APDL snippet Ekill to suppress all but one of the redundant components. Could be a p.i.t.a. to manage the overlapping parts and their related model data. Results management may require visibility management ... not sure.

3. Same as 2 but actually delete before solve. Same issue with model management but I wonder if results display will be simplified.
Has anyone done a similar study and would you care to share an opinion of the right way to productively manage component swapping?

I am running Creo 2.0 and ANSYS 16.1 (mechanical). Right now I'm leaning toward option 1, not elegant but reliable.

Thanks . . . Fern

Fern Thomassy

Fallbrook Technologies

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for use by the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. This message is protected by copyright laws and any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of information received in error is strictly prohibited.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS