XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
Bernoulli-Euler beam modeling (without transverse shear)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
ivan.stepanenko
User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 am  Reply with quote

Hello everebody,

Is anybody dealed with modeling Bernoulli-Euler beam in ANSYS for 3D space problems? Current ANSYS beam elements are BEAM188 and BEAM189 and both of them include transverse shear as Timoshenko beam, but I want to suppress this effect to model exact Bernoulli-Euler beam.
The problem that I encountered is creation beam structure in 3D space if I know EIz, EIy, GJ beam stiffnesses (corresponding to vertical bending stiffness, horizontal bending stiffness and torsional stiffness) as functions of local x beam coordinate. These stiffnesses were obtaned when complex 3D-structure was analyzed under different loading and boundary conditions, so it is possible to say that Bernoulli-Euler beam with these stiffnesses will show the same behaviour as an initial 3D-structure.
The way I tried to perform it in ANSYS is the following:
1) Creation of generalized beam sections when assuming some value of E and G. For example, if EIz=200e9 N*m^2, EIy=400 N*m^2, GJ=50e9 N*m^2 I can enter Izz=200, Iyy=400, J=50 assuming E=1e9 N/m^2 and G=1e9 N/m^2
2) Creation of isotropic material with E and G assumed at step 1. For example, if E=1e9 and G=1e9, I should enter in ANSYS EX=1e9 and PR=-0.5
3) Creation of BEAM188 or BEAM189 elements with sections created at step 1 and material created at step 2.

But when I use that method I still have problem that value of G affects at bending displacements because of transverse shear. I can suppress transverse shear behaviour by assigning Poisson ratio close to -1 (-0.95 for example) to tend G to infinity but I still have some problems.

I found that old BEAM4 element shows the behaviour similar to what I want but unfortunately it is no longer supported in ANSYS 14.

I would be grateful for any possible help.
Department of Ensuring the Safety of Aeroelastic Phenomena, Engineer
140180, Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Zhulovsky city, 1 Zhukovsky Street, TsAGI
Martin Liddle
User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:26 am  Reply with quote

On 22/05/2015 16:18, ivan.stepanenko wrote:
Quote:
I found that old BEAM4 element shows the behaviour similar to what I want but unfortunately it is no longer supported in ANSYS 14.
BEAM4 is available in ANSYS14; look in the Feature Archive. Like many
old elements it is no longer in the main documentation but it should
work fine.

--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services,
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK.
www.tynecomp.co.uk

+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| XANSYS web - www.xansys.org/forum |
| The Online Community for users of ANSYS, Inc. Software |
| Hosted by PADT - www.padtinc.com |
| Send administrative requests to xansys-mod@tynecomp.co.uk |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
ivan.stepanenko
User

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Martin!

Indeed, BEAM4 is still available in ANSYS14, so my problem is succesfully resolved.
Department of Ensuring the Safety of Aeroelastic Phenomena, Engineer
140180, Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Zhulovsky city, 1 Zhukovsky Street, TsAGI
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS